Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The "Napoleon Dynamite" Election?

There's a risky haughtiness to the notion of looking down on a campaign that goes down a distinctly entertainment-type path, as it appears that this one well might.  The Donald has already started to foreshadow a convention the likes of which we've never seen.

Watch out, though - underestimating the power of good feelings and generalized positivity can be dangerous indeed.  We can all laugh as Pedro wins the election based on Napoleon's distinctly issue-free dance presentation, but the movie may well be spot on when it comes to recognizing that the kind of excitement generated by Napoleon and his memorable moves really can lead to victory.  Remember the simplicity and power of Reagan's Morning in America worldview, with America portrayed as a "shining city on the hill"?

Laugh all you want, but do so at your peril.  If Trump comes out of that convention with a bump that goes so far as to constitute an actual lead - and I think he well might - then I'm not entirely sure that after a quick glance in the proverbial rear-view mirror he ever really looks back again.

As to the gorilla not yet in the room, who apparently will not be revealed until the convention (sigh), we have the incredibly critical VP question.  For myself, I'm imagining that, at that convention, we ultimately do get Big Marco.  Now I know he's said he doesn't want it, and he has cogently explained that Mr. Trump should have as his running mate someone who's views are more, well, Trumpian.  I get it.  I'm tilting at windmills, just trying to will my prior Big Marco surmise into reality.  But here's my draft of a piece of Big Marco's speech when he accepts the second-slot nomination: "Initially, I thought that what Donald needed was someone that had greater agreement with him on a range of important issues.  But he has tapped into something here, and I want to be a part of it.  After due consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I can do more to pursue the things I hold dear by working from within the system, rather than by working without it.  I want to be a part of this Movement.  And so, with that, I enthusiastically accept your nomination to be the Vice President of the United States of America."

C'mon, Marco (bringing it back full circle to viewing the world through the Napoleon Dynamite prism), you really do need to go out there and tell Pedro to: "Vote for Donald"!


No comments:

Post a Comment