Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Melania Dust-Up

So let's assume (without deciding) that "the" passage from Melania's beautiful speech was indeed lifted from Michelle Obama's.  If that's the case, then I believe that (i) no professional would make that mistake and (ii) no double-agent intentionally torpedoed Melania.  So, if all that's right, . . . what the heck happened? 

I imagine the following backstory.  At a point at which Melania's speech was almost done, she pulled up Obama's powerful and effective words from 2008.  I think that they resonated with Melania.  I'm guessing that, at that critical juncture, Melania decided that she would use those words - unaware that, in the world she has now entered, doing so is considered to be inappropriate (to say the least) plagiarism.

If my imagined world indeed reflects reality, Melania and the Trump camp had a way out.  Moreover, I think that way out is still available, although I acknowledge that it won't be available for long.  My path forward?  It would be for Melania say something along the lines of:

"I would like to explain what happened regarding my speech of the other night.  I am still learning the rules of the world that I have now entered.  I do not have a background or the education that would fully prepare me for my new role.  I was working to finalize my speech, which had been prepared by me with the help of others.  I came upon Michelle Obama's beautiful words from 2008.  They spoke to me, and I wanted to honor and use them.  I finished my speech by adding those words.  I meant no disrespect and, quite the opposite, I meant only the utmost respect.  I see now that what I did was wrong.  But it was done with the best of intentions, and I hope you understand.  All of this is hard for me to admit now, especially with all that's been said, but I want to be open and honest with everyone.  My apologies to Michelle and to all of you, and I wish you all the best."

I do still think that there's time for something like this.  I hope it happens.  There is nothing wrong with praising Obama's elegant presentation of several years ago, and, frankly, there's a lot right about doing so.  Melania should be oh-so-proud of her own presentation, and I look forward to a time at which she is again back in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment